Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Using Photobooth in the Classroom

Photobooth could be a wonderful addition to any classroom. The program allows the user to take pictures or create video clips using a variety of effects. It is a very fun program to use. I have used Photobooth since I got my MacBook in 2006 and I love that the newer version now lets you change the background as well.

My host teacher during student teaching took pictures of the students once a month so that at the end of the year they can see how much they have changed. With Photobooth you could set up a computer where the students could go take pictures of themselves. This could be used as a center. I think students would really enjoy taking their own pictures. I also think it would be a great way to help bring out their personalities in the photos.

Another option for Photobooth would be to use the video option. Instead of presenting a report on what they have learned about a certain topic, students could record videos of themselves talking about what they have learned. After all students have recorded their videos, the teacher can play them for the class. It would be a much more exciting and interesting process. It also allows students to be a little bit more creative.

Meg mentioned in her blog that she would have students record themselves reading. That is such a wonderful idea! I definitely think it would help with fluency and it would be good for students to have the opportunity to hear how they sound when the read.

Some schools have older students come into the classroom to read with the younger ones. You could also send the recordings of your students reading to the teachers of students in lower grades. I think this would be exciting for both the older students making the recordings as well as for the younger students receiving the recordings.

You could also send the recordings to parents or other family members who I am sure would enjoy listening to their students read stories or do presentations. I think there is really a lot of things you could do with this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment